CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Crafting in Tennessee

The Judds went to Tennessee for Christmas and the following week (more pictures of that fantastic week in the next post). While we were there, the sisters-in-law, inspired by Monica, decided to craft a nativity set that each family could take back with them. When I first saw the set, I was not exactly thrilled to try it, since it was made out of felt. I'm not the closest friends with felt. But I wanted to spend quality time with the girls, and this craft provided plenty of opportunity for quality time. This is the original inspiration, from the Pioneer Woman blog:

We made a few changes, including painting the wooden blocks a cream color. Heather and I distressed our blocks, and I decided to use leftover scrapbook paper instead of felt. Here's how it turned out:

Baby Jesus, Jofus, and Murray (Avery's description of the Holy Family)

The angel, cow, and donkey

The shepherd and his sheep

These men were some high maintenance Magi, but the results were worthwhile.

Thanks, Monica, for a great idea! (And yes, I actually do love it!)

5 comments:

Monica M. Judd said...

they look awesome! one out of scrapbook may have to be in my future somewhere... just not the near future! and i really like the darkened edges around your blocks. do tell how you did that, please. and i'm so proud of you for sticking with it and finishing, and for giving it a try, for that matter.

abbey said...

those are really cute Rebekah! love how you distressed your blocks...fun idea!

Rebekah Judd said...

Monica - it's really easy. Just take take the color you want and put it on the sides (I used a sponge brush). Then take a slightly damp rag and wipe it off, so it leaves a stain-like look. It took a bit of trial and error to figure out how long to leave the paint off before wiping it with the rag.

Heather J said...

Rebekah - They look GREAT! I love love love the scrapbook paper - it was so much fun doing this with you & Monica!

Katherine M. said...

Wonderful keepsake treasures. I'm all for crafts you actually want to keep. :)